Saturday, June 2, 2012

2001 Hyundai Accent (Josie's)

I have put front brakes in this car, out in Portland and Josie has had the rear shoes done since then.  Otherwise I think I've got her using Mobil One and such.  It has 94,000 miles on it.

Josie's Accent has some issues I'm trying to address:  Took it to Scotty in Edgerton but his dad had just died and he put me off for a week.  Her biggest issue was that in the winter it stalled and missed until it warmed up.  I was thinking an EGR valve stuck open, but Scotty said it could be anything from a leaky head gasket (I hope not that) to something as simple as a temperature sensor telling the computer that it was 70-degrees out when it was 10-degrees.  It is running fine right now, as far as I can tell, in the warm summer, so we'll see what happens when I can take it in.  I topped up a quart of oil and dumped a bottle of injector cleaner into the gas fill. 

Josie said the braking felt funny, but it seemed just fine to me and the fluid was OK.  I braked with my hands off the wheel and it slowed down pretty straight. 

Her third issue is putting it into reverse.  I noticed that.  When I tried once it didn't go and just kind of whirred in neutral.  I noticed that when I pushed down on the shifter and over to the passenger side it would catch every time.  Could be that the linkage just needs adjustment.  We'll see what Scotty thinks on that one, too.

1 comment:

  1. Info for Scotty's Auto Care:

    608-884-8270
    15 N Main St
    Edgerton, WI 53534

    Sara and I found him when she was driving her old Saturn and he seems a competent, fair, guy who diagnoses all the stuff and then tells you what you need and what you can put off or even just live with.

    ReplyDelete